LETTER: Nicotinoids pose threat to environment
I am asking you please to run accounts in your newspapers to notify people of the danger if the government, as feared, lifts the ban on nicontinoids, thus encouraging a reckless return to using them on our fields.
Part of the damage they do is to kill insects, infamously bees, which are an essential element of, and contributors to, our habitat.
To lift the ban would be to prefer quantity of agricultural output, and the profits they make, to the health of the environment.
Whatever your views on poisoning the land, nicotinoids in particular are understood to cause such serious damage that it’s not worth the risk.
I would like to see you side against nicotinoids, but at least please inform people and give prominence to the risk that the government will allow the use of these poisons.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November