LETTER: On the subject of community transport companies ...

I write in reply to your headline article about the taxi drivers complaining about community transport.

I wonder if anyone has considered if the companies mentioned employ drivers that have a Certificate of Professional Competence Licence?

I understand that many community transport companies operate under charity status. Provided a person pays an annual subscription under charity status anyone with a car licence with D1 can drive their buses even if they make additional payment for travel to hospitals or schools.

All they do is take a one day Midas course organised by the council. If there are more than 12 passengers they should have a professional CPC driver. What is amazing is that a CPC course is five days in duration and cost in excess of £300!


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter