LETTER: Please sponsor Peter - he deserves our support
- Credit: Archant
Cecil was killed at the Somme on June 23 1916 - he was just 17. He was serving with the 1st/7th Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment.
My father, who was working on the railway at the time, cycled to France to visit the grave shortly after the war.
I contacted Peter after reading about his planned cycle ride to the Somme, to see if he would be able to visit my uncle’s grave. He was so kind and very helpful and managed to find all sorts of additional information for me, including a picture of how my uncle’s grave looks today.
Peter really deserves our support and I would encourage people to donate. He is looking to raise £1,300 for SSAFA - the services charity. You can make a donation http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/pjbsomme16
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government