LETTER: Remembering the Rev W V Awdry and his sugar train
- Credit: Archant
The article about the Rev W V Awdry evoked a few memories. I knew him and we discussed the merits of writing and self-publishing.
He was a humorous soul and this spilled out on one memorable occasion at a bellringers’ meeting at Emneth parish church.
Mr Awdry had arranged refreshments for the ringers at the Old Rectory. Tables had bee arranged and behind each plate ran a model railway line. In came Mr Awdry wearing an engine driver’s cap and he whisked away a sheet on the end table to reveal a model tank engine.
Blowing a whistle he pressed a button and started the engine towing a few trucks filled with sugar lumps on its run. It stopped at each plate and people helped themselves to sugar.
This would have been the ideal inspiration for yet another book, perhaps with the title Thomas and the Sugar Lump Line.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told