LETTER: Sacking is wrong
I am absolutely appalled that Wisbech Town Council has sacked Cllr Mrs Lay for non-attendance when she quite blatantly cannot access meetings without the most serious discomfort.
She has pleaded with the town council, to do something about it so that she can attend meetings without serious disadvantage, and they have, at best cobbled something together that is completely inadequate, and at worst blatantly discriminated against Cllr Mrs Lay.
The town clerk has a duty to ensure that all members duly elected are able to attend council meetings. If this means expensive adjustments to the entry at the council building then so be it.
If it means holding meetings somewhere that is disability friendly then that is the most appropriate solution: There is the Rosmini Centre, the Queen Mary Centre, the Oasis Centre.
Cllr Mrs Lay should appeal against this ill-conceived decision to the returning officer.
You may also want to watch:
It is the council’s responsibility to ensure that all members can attend council, meetings. Not the other way round.
Of course if the council had not let slip the courthouse we could have had a state of the art council building, and converted the council chamber into a rather beautiful museum which is after all what it is.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover