LETTER: Taking earning to whole new level
The appointment of former Tory chancellor George Osborne as editor of the Evening Standard proves that pro-capitalist, pro-austerity politicians are in it for themselves.
Osborne, a millionaire heir and member of the landed gentry, does seem to be taking it to a new level. He now has five jobs for which he gets paid obscene amounts.
His public speaking gig alone has reportedly netted him over £700,000 since he was sacked by Theresa May after the Cameron government lost the Brexit referendum last year.
He has a £650,000-job working four days a month for BlackRock, the world’s biggest investment firm.
This former member of the elite Oxford University Bullingdon Club also has a £120,000 fellowship at the McCain Institute for International Leadership in Arizona.
You may also want to watch:
And it’s estimated he’ll get £220,000 for a four-day week at the Standard. Oh yeah, and his £75,000 for being an MP. Theresa May and her supporters correctly fear Osborne will use his new platform to attack the Tory leadership. Of course, this won’t be over cuts to services or tax breaks for the one per cent. Rather this is about the huge split in the Tory party over Brexit, which they cannot paper over.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government