LETTER: Thanks to everyone who supported Chatteris Poppy Appeal
As your newspaper predicted a few weeks ago, the Chatteris Poppy Appeal has struggled this year in its attempt to match last year’s income because of the closure of the Co-op Supermarket.
However, with the amazing help of the Cross Keys and the George Clare Surgery, and tremendous support from Chatteris residents, we are very happy with the overall proceeds of the Appeal.
Basic sales of poppies during the two weeks raised £7,202.73 (approximately £1,000 down on last year) but other areas were up on 2014, including a record number of wreaths purchased for laying at the memorial and we hope by the end of this financial year to be on a par with last year.
I still have plenty of enamel pins from various years and if anyone would like one (£2 each) they can telephone me on 01354 695257 or 07774 121 545.
Volunteers for next year can also contact me via those numbers.
You may also want to watch:
My thanks to each and every one who contributed in some way: I am very proud of my army of collectors and volunteers and their enthusiasm for the Appeal.
Thank you all.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Chatteris Poppy Appeal Organiser