LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Broken down trucker heaps praises on young people who helped after tyre blow out
- Credit: Archant
Last Sunday I had a tyre blow-out on the road outside of the new Tesco store in Sandown Road, Wisbech.
Being unwilling to risk changing it on the road I limped into Tesco’s approach and began to change the wheel. Within three or four minutes a young man of perhaps late twenties/early thirties stopped and asked if I needed any help. I thanked him and told him everything was fine so he drove on.
A few minutes later I was approached by a young girl in her teens wearing a Costa Coffee uniform who also asked if I was OK and could she help at all? I thanked her and assured her everything was under control so she returned to a seat near the building to wait for her lift home.
As it happened everything was not OK and when I took off the wheel I discovered a broken spring which had punctured the tyre causing the blow-out. This now meant a wait for the recovery service which I was told would arrive within an hour.
At that point I decided to call into the nearby Frankie and Bennie’s for a drink while I waited. I looked pretty scruffy because I’d been working on my boat in the yacht harbour and had dirty hands from working on the car so explained to the greeter/maitre d’ that I’d broken down and could I come in for a drink while I waited. She and the young girl behind the bar made me feel like an honoured guest.
You may also want to watch:
If these young people are an example of Wisbech youth, Wisbech should be proud and I thank them all for their concern.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash