LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘In just two weeks on two occasions large amounts of empty cans and bottles have been found in the children’s play area in Wisbech Park.’
- Credit: Archant
In just two weeks on two occasions large amounts of empty cans and bottles have been found in the children’s play area in Wisbech Park.
It’s not just the park as on a walk through the footpath that links Lynn Road to Clarence Road a large number of empty beer cans were seen littering the footpath. People are openly drinking in the area of St Peter’s Gardens. A number of beer cans have also been noted near to the BP garage on the grassy area by the dual carriageway.
The congregation of people drinking in these areas causes anxiety to people who purposely avoid these areas. Many people feel unsafe walking through the town at night.
When I look back to Inspector O’Sullivan’s zero tolerance policy on this issue in hindsight and certainly at certain times I feel these needs to be reintroduced. Where there are high levels of street drinking by large groups of people there is the potential for crime and intimidation.
There have been several incidents of street crime many of which go unreported as people feel the person will never be caught. Through the course of my work people have spoken to me about assaults that have taken place on them, including one person who was mugged on Harecroft Road close where the footpath runs through to the Hudson Leisure Centre
You may also want to watch:
A high profile police campaign needs to be undertaken to curtail this activity. I think some sort of public education programme also needs to be implemented.
DAVE PATRICK (Cllr)
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years