LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wisbech has been good to me. I have a better standard of living than I would have attained had I stayed in London
- Credit: Archant
Having not read the Sun for donkey years, I am not surprised by what they print.
I immigrated from south west London to the Fens 40 years ago with thirty shillings in my pocket, married a local girl and bought a house with a cheap council mortgage.
So I not only stole a woman I also stole a house from locals, I managed to conceal it from Sun journalists thank goodness.
Wisbech has been good to me. I have a better standard of living than I would have attained had I stayed in London. I did local factory work and met some lovely people who made me very welcome.
Immigrants are here for the most parts to improve their lives like myself and having worked along side them they are no different from us; they have the same aspirations and wishes.
You may also want to watch:
What upsets people is the street drinking and urinating which I have witnessed myself. Some need to be educated before they arrive on do’s and don’ts.
Youth unemployment is a more serious topic I would have thought for news papers to report on a generation with out any prospects is not good for the well being of any town. A railway would be a huge plus and Wisbech would cease to be an island.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
I remember years ago a local I worked with telling me he had never been as far as five miles outside of Wisbech in his life! And what’s more did not want to.
There are some big changes ahead for some people. I hope we will all be able to cope.