LETTER: U3A is great
I was delighted to read the letter from Pam Linnell in the August 26 edition of your paper.
I believe the U3A is not as well-known as it should be and would like to endorse her sentiments.
I retired two years ago and, having been on my own for the last seven years, was at a bit of a loose end after my long and interesting working life.
Although it is called the University of the Third Age, it is not purely an academic club! I attended my first meeting about a year ago knowing very few people there, and quite quickly was made welcome and introduced to the various groups.
I joined the theatre group initially and have now started a new group for gardening enthusiasts! The interests are varied and it is best to look at the U3A website for more details. I attend the Wisbech meeting which is held monthly on the second Thursday at St Peter’s Church Hall at 2.30pm. Although there are couples, of course, many members are on their own for various reasons and it is a wonderful way to meet similar-minded people.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache