LETTER: Unilateral disarmament will leave country exposed
The first duty of the state is the defence of the realm. Nuclear arms limitation and reduction with a view to worldwide abolition would indeed be a fine achievement.
Unilateral disarmament though would leave this peace keeping country naked and exposed in a dangerous world where only the bad guys end up with the weapons. Pax Britannica serves Pax Christi.
Your kindly correspondent writes to promote a London Peace Rally later this month. While in Trafalgar Square I’d commend to him the dying words of Nelson (there high above him): “Thank God I have done my duty”. He meant exactly that.
A 100 years peace in Europe was achieved as much by sound tactical positioning and a credible deterrent – the power of the Fleet - as any actual resort to force of arms. The alternative was the invasion of mainland Britain.
DAVID J ADDINGTON
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens