LETTER: Whaplode Drove chapel mentioned in family Bible stood in Eaugate Road
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Whaplode Drove stood on the bend in Eaugate Road.
It was shown on Ordnance Survey maps from First Edition to 1976 (see attached image), but had disappeared by 1980, so presumably it was demolished in the late 1970’s.
Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire 1896 quotes “There is a wesleyan chapel at Whaplode Drove, built in 1862, with 170 sittings...” however the “History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Lincolnshire, and the City and Diocese of Lincoln” by William White (1856) describes a Wesleyan Chapel built in 1846. This could have been an earlier building on the same or different site.
Hope this helps.
You may also want to watch:
Newton Parish Council
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 8 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire