LETTER: Why do we need another authority - just devolve powers to the ones we’ve got
I hope I’m not the only one in the county not to understand why if the Government is so keen on devolution why it will not devolve powers for health, planning and transport direct to the county council we already have - without new costs being brought in with a new structure?
Every four years local people elect their county councillor to speak up and work for their local community that democracy works - if your not happy with your councillor you vote them out.
No minister has explained why we need another authority and a new elected official who would be much more remote and therefore less accountable than the local councillor.
By all means councils should work more together for the provision of better services but not at extra cost for little or no return.
You may also want to watch:
Former Cambs County Councillor
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend