Marvellous milestone for Leverington litter pickers as one thousand bags of rubbish collected
- Credit: Archant
Dedicated litter heroes are putting the pride into Leverington having just chalked up one thousand bags of rubbish.
Leverington Street Pride was congratulated on reaching the milestone at its latest litter pick around the village on Saturday August 18.
Group secretary Sally Bruce made a cake to mark the special occasion, which members enjoyed as a well-earned treat after collecting a further 21 bags of rubbish on the day.
The group, which currently has 14 members, has been helping to clean up the village’s streets and open spaces for six years and also looks after a number of flower barrels around the village.
Members get together for regular litter picks, with the next one taking place on Saturday September 15.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone, young or old, is welcome to join the team of volunteers – just meet at 10am at the Sports and Social Club, Church Road.
Councillor Peter Murphy, portfolio holder for the environment at Fenland District Council, which co-ordinates Fenland’s 16 Street Pride groups, said: “On behalf of all the people who hate to see our district ruined by thoughtlessly discarded rubbish – I would like to thank Leverington Street Pride for their fantastic work.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
“Volunteers contribute so valuably to helping keep Fenland clean and tidy and work undertaken by Street Pride groups continues to demonstrate a genuine desire to bring people together and improve our environment.”
For more information about Street Pride and to join a local group contact Rebecca Robinett, Fenland District Council’s Street Pride coordinator, on 01354 654321 or email email@example.com