Leverington teenager has sights set on African adventure
- Credit: Archant
A LEVERINGTON teenager will take part in a once in a lifetime expedition to Namibia and Botswana next summer.
Ellie Mason, 16, is one of 40 pupils at King’s School, Peterborough, who will climb mountains, come face to face with exotic wildlife and help out at a school and farm during their African adventure.
She needs to raise £4,000 to pay for her trip and sustain the community projects she will be working on.
Ellie said: “I’ve spoken to people who have been similar trips and the stories they have told sound really good.
“And it will be good to help out on community projects.”
You may also want to watch:
Tim Smith, Ellie’s stepfather, said: “Camping in remote areas far away from the home comforts of running water, internet and home cooking will be a big challenge for all the party.
“In preparation for the trip Ellie has to follow a year long fitness programme to ensure she can cope with the extremes of the trip and anyone who knows her will appreciate that this in itself presents its own challenge. She is not a lover of exercise.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
As well as a part-time job, Ellie will be pack bags at supermarkets, collect aluminium cans and wash cars to fund raise for the expedition.
She is also hosting a general knowledge quiz at St Leonard’s church, Leverington, on Thursday June 20.
The entry fee for team of four is £10 and includes a bread and cheese supper.
To book your place on the quiz, make a donation or find out about the trip email Ellie on email@example.com