Liberal Democrat candidate announced for upcoming Parson Drove and Wisbech St Mary By-election
- Credit: Archant
THE Liberal Democrats will be represented by Mary Lane in the forthcoming Parson Drove and Wisbech St Mary Ward By-election on Thursday March 28.
She will be standing against Conservative candidate David Broker and UKIP candidate Alan Lay for a place on Fenland District Council.
The By-election was called after Councillor Robert Scrimshaw died suddenly aged 56 at his home in Murrow on January 4.
Mrs Lane will hope to join fellow Liberal Democrat Councillor Gavin Booth in representing the Ward.
Mrs Lane, from Murrow, is secretary of the Murrow Village Hall Committee, treasurer to the Rural Road Safety Campaign and a volunteer for the RSPCA at Block Fen.
You may also want to watch:
She runs Rainbows and Brownies in Murrow and is division commissioner for Fenland.
Mrs Lane is actively involved in local road safety campaigns and wants to see more done to reduce speeding through the villages and reduce the number of road accidents.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 10 Man found dead in March
She says that the actions of the ruling Conservative group are an embarrassment to residents in Fenland and has pledged to protect the district’s rural natural heritage and ensure that housing development is sensitive to the needs of villagers.