Library’s �2.5 million celebrated with a special community day
FROM children’s favourite Elmer the elephant to finding out about ancient ancestors there was something for everyone at the official community opening of Wisbech Library.
The library, recently revamped at a cost of �2.5 million,
held a special day of celebrations on Saturday to commemorate the facility which is run for the community with the help of the community.
Elmer made an appearance in the morning and as well as taking part in story time.
In the afternoon visitors were invited to get to grips with Fenland history. The Fenland Collection was open for people to uncover the previous lives of Wisbech residents. Members of the Fenland Family History Society also explained how to trace a family tree.
You may also want to watch:
Visitors also got the chance to look at the Wisbech Library’s time capsule which is kindly supported by the Wisbech Society.
There was also the chance to win a reward if you came dressed as your favourite children’s character.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
The historic Vivien Fire Engine was parked opposite the Castle and children found out more about fire fighting in the past and try on a uniform between.
There was also exhibitions and a quiz. Visitors enjoyed Jo Chapman’s stunning public artwork which is featured in the library.
Cambridgeshire County Councillor Sir Peter Brown, Cabinet Member for Communities, said: “Wisbech Library is a fantastic community facility and it is only right that we celebrated its opening with all of the community. These events were designed to provide something for everyone, no matter their age.
“The County Council would like to thank all our partners in helping open the new library which is a building designed to be at the heart of the community.”
The redevelopment of Wisbech Library was made possible in part through funding from the Big Lottery Fund’s Community Libraries Programme – a fund aimed at invigorating libraries across England. All libraries benefiting from this funding have a strong emphasis on learning and community involvement.
The learning facilities at Wisbech Library were made possible through funding from the Investing in Communities programme. Investing in Communities is a programme from the East of England Development Agency in association with Cambridgeshire County Council and the Greater Cambridge Partnership.