Whittlesey woman joins a charity walk in London in memory of her brother who died of bowel cancer
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey woman is joining a charity walk in London in memory of her brother who died of bowel cancer at the age of 30.
She will join the five-mile walk between Southwark to Embankment, which will pass iconic city sites such as Millennium Bridge, St Paul’s Cathedral and Tower Bridge.
Linda Studd, 36, lost her brother Karl to bowel cancer earlier this year and is determined to make more people aware of the disease and raise much needed funds for the cause.
She has already tripled her original fund raising target.
Linda said: “Karl was only 29 when he was diagnosed with bowel cancer and lost his fight eight months later.
You may also want to watch:
“Despite being the UK’s fourth most common cancer it is still worryingly misdiagnosed in young people. If caught early bowel cancer is very curable but if, like in Karl’s experience, it isn’t it can be very hard to treat.
“I’m taking part to heighten awareness of the disease, particularly in young people, so that one day other families won’t have to go through what we’ve been through.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
Community fundraising manager for Bowel Cancer UK, Vicky Martin, said: “We are proud to have Linda taking part in Walk Together and raising funds for the charity.
“Walk Together is for all ages and abilities and you can walk with friends, family and colleagues, or invite your local community to join you.”
• To sign up to Walk Together in London on Saturday September 15 visit: bowelcanceruk.org.uk/walktogether
• Donations can be made to Justgiving.com/lindastudd.