Litter pickers have a field day at Cemetery Road
THE Street Pride Volunteers joined forces with another environmental improvement group on Saturday when they visited Leverington Road Cemetery in Wisbech. Friends of Leverington Road Cemetery already support Wisard objectives and help keep the cemetery an
THE Street Pride Volunteers joined forces with another environmental improvement group on Saturday when they visited Leverington Road Cemetery in Wisbech.
Friends of Leverington Road Cemetery already support Wisard objectives and help keep the cemetery and surrounding area looking its best while creating a haven for wildlife.
The Friends were happy to join forces with the Street Pride Volunteers, and Councillor Jonathon Farmer, for a bit of extra litter picking in and around the cemetery and along the cycle path at the back of the National Trust playing fields in Harecroft Road.
Regular litter picking efforts of the Friends of Leverington Road Cemetery group were evident as the group of 15 had to delve into the darkest corners of the cemetery to find the litter. However, after litter picking the cemetery and the surrounding area, the haul of rubbish taken away included around 20 sacks of litter, a fire extinguisher, the remains of a sun lounger and even an old sofa.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Beel, of the Friends group, said "'It was good having so many volunteers. Even litter picking can be fun when you do it together. We hope we will be able to work with the Street Pride volunteers again in the future."
The next Street Pride event will be in Manea tomorrow. If you would like to help with painting and litter picking, just turn up at the playing field at 10am. There will be free refreshments for all those taking part. For more information contact Jo Hart, Street Pride co-ordinator, on 01354 602163 or 07785 337205.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 5 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 6 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 9 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online