Little Downham’s ‘champion losers’ set to reunite 40 years on
- Credit: Archant
A youth football team that became famous across the UK for being ‘champion losers’ is set to reunite for a special 40th anniversary football match.
The under 10 team at Little Downham Feoffees Primary School was featured in the Daily Mirror back in 1973 as the ‘team of the month’, with each of the players featured in the paper and awarded a replica England shirt.
The team of the month was normally reserved for league or cup-winning teams but the Mirror was so touched by the story of the Little Downham team, which failed ever to win a single game, that it agreed to put them on the centre pages.
Midfielder Keith Missin, who still lives in Cannon Street in the village, has organised a reunion for the team every 10 years but, with every player set to turn 50 this year, Keith has gone the extra mile to make sure every one of the 13-strong squad is able to attend.
Some of the team are travelling from as far afield as America just for the event, which is set to take place on November 9 at Little Downham’s recreation field.
You may also want to watch:
On the day, Keith, 50, and his team-mates will take on a team made up of their children.
He said: “I’ve been to the Paul Day sports shop in Ely and organised for us to wear replica 1973 England kits, just like the ones we were given for being featured as team of the month.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
“Spectators are welcome to come down and watch, we will be down there from 12pm and the match should kick-off at 2pm. Some of the guys are coming over from America just to play so it should be a great day.”