Local Barber is a cut above the rest after getting recognised by a national association
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland barber is among the first wave of people in the country to be recognised by a national association.
Nate’s Barbers in March has just won accreditation under the British Barbers’ Association Scheme.
The scheme aims to give the public confidence about using a trained professional and stamping out the cowboys.
Nate Lee, who set up the shop four years ago, said: “Not many realise it but you can open a barbers shop tomorrow and offer poor
hygiene, inadequate skills, ignore Health and Safety issues and be uninsured.
“This scheme shows that this salon has the right credentials and it supports the professionalisation of barbering. It is
good for the public, good for decent barbers and bad for the cowboys.
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 7 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 8 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday
- 9 Academy will train next generation of taxi drivers
- 10 Whittlesey ready for battle in bid to maintain promotion push
“All professional barbers should be a part of it.”
Mr Lee, who offers wet shaves as well as hair cuts, said: “We nod to the past and shake hands with the future using a mix of traditional and modern tecnhiques.”
Mr Lee trained in London in 1976 and after moving to Norfolk switched to a career in sales and marketing.
Four years ago he decided to pick up the scissors again and return to a job that he loves.
Michael Taylor BBA director said: “With the influx of so many unqualified barbers and growth in fly-by-night barber shops, it is important that the public has a means to identify professional barbering enterprises.
“That is what the BBA Accreditation Scheme provides.”
Nate’s, of Dartford Road, is leading the way locally in providing this extremely useful kite mark service for members of the public, Mr Taylor added.