LETTER: Why I quit as an independent to re-join Tories
Cllr Nick Meekins Former Wisbech Mayor
- Credit: Archant
Some people may be surprised that I have re-joined the Conservative Party which I left in 2012 for personal reasons.
Although I’ve always basically retained Conservative principles, in 2019 I decided to stand as an Independent.
I truly believe that it’s important that decisions in our local councils are subject to due questioning and challenge, and there need to be checks and balances in place.
I’ve come to realise over the last two years that the most effective way that I can contribute to that process is as a member of the Conservative groups on both Fenland District Council and Wisbech Town Council.
I’ve acted constructively and collaboratively over the last two years from the opposition benches.
I’ve generally been pleased with the way both councils have been run by the Conservatives.
I'd like to contribute further to the councils, both for the residents I represent and for the area as a whole.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 3 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 4 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 5 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 6 Missing woman back home
- 7 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
I feel the best way do this is as a member of the Conservative Party.
My main aim continues to be to work for the people of Peckover Ward as I have done for the past two years – answering correspondence promptly, following up their queries and reporting back to concerned residents.
Once the pandemic allows, I hope to go back out with the police doing parking and speeding work, with Streetpride doing litter picks, the Peckover estate user group and also holding more ward surgeries.
Town and District Councillor for Peckover Ward, Wisbech