Longest serving member of staff is going for gold with 50 years service at Wisbech St Mary firm
- Credit: Archant
A long serving member of staff was presented with an award for 50 years of service with Delamore.
Fifty years ago, it was the swinging Sixties and in 1964 at the age of just 16, Johnny Housden joined the Wisbech St Mary firm as a nursery worker.
At the time Delamore was much smaller and Mr Housden recalls the production being focused on roses, tulips and daffodils.
From this he has seen the company grow to one the of the biggest young plant producers in the country, yet at the same time he says the company has “still maintained its core culture and principles of a close family run ethos and team.”
Five decades later, now aged 65, Johnny is still very much part of the Delamore team and is celebrating his latest milestone as the longest serving employee and by deciding to stay on longer.
James Banton, finance director, presented Johnny with his award and said: “This is a fantastic achievement for both Johnny and Delamore.
“It shows the commitment staff have to our company but also our promise to staff of being the employer of choice not only locally, but also within the horticultural industry too.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 4 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
“It is also fantastic that we’ve been able to retain Johnny and his skills beyond the age of 65, which in this industry is vitally important.
“Furthermore Johnny is also able to contribute towards our long term talent plan, he can train and teach our young apprentices his skills and knowledge developed over the years - this form of learning can not be gained from the classroom, internet or books!”