Looking back - A look at what was like in 1910
A look at what life was like in our villages in 1910 - WIMBLINGTON Post Office was opened as a Telegraph and Public Telephone Call Office. Telegrams were despatched and received between 8am and 8pm on weekdays, except Tuesdays when the office closed at 2
A look at what life was like in our villages in 1910- WIMBLINGTON Post Office was opened as a Telegraph and Public Telephone Call Office. Telegrams were despatched and received between 8am and 8pm on weekdays, except Tuesdays when the office closed at 2pm. A telephone was available for use for callers within the same hours too. A call between Wimblington and Chatteris, Doddington and March was 2d. for a three-minute conversation.- TWO departments of a school in Upwell were re-opened after being in the hands of builders for seven months. St Peter's Schools for boys and girls had been enlarged, causing the building to be extended. Alterations provided three classrooms for each department. Existing classrooms and cloakrooms had been enlarged and fitted with toilets. The work was carried out by Messrs W Sutton and Son builders, Upwell, under the supervision of the Isle of Ely County Building Inspector. The school could now provide accommodation for 160 boys, 160 girls and 100 infants, to meet the requirements of increased population.- RAIN greatly interfered with this year's Hospital Sunday celebrations in Benwick. At noon there were signs of a fine afternoon, but rain came down heavily and as a consequence the attendance this year was not nearly so large. A heavy shower at the time the procession was timed to leave the schools caused a delay of nearly half an hour. Headed by the King's Dyke Prize Band the procession, including Oddfellows, Shepherds and members of the Sick and Dividing Club, marched through the village, with a busy band of collectors waiting on the villagers for their contributions. The procession reached the church at three o'clock, with a service being taken by the Rector, the Rev W H Wood.- A RUMMAGE sale was held in the Parish Room, Coates, devoted to the wiping off of the small outstanding debt on the Parish Room Improvement Fund. Songs, recitations and instrumental solos were rendered and Mrs Duckett presided at the pianoforte.- MURROW school was closed for two weeks in June for the strawberry season. The school closed on June 24, before re-opening on Monday, July 11, unless necessity arose for a further holiday.