Lord Taylor of Holbeach officially opens £2million Skelton Hall refectory at Wisbech Grammar School
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Grammar School’s newly built £2 million refectory was officially opened on Friday by Lord Taylor of Holbeach, chief whip in the House of Lords.
The refectory is named ‘Skelton Hall’ in honour of Robert Skelton MA, CEng, FIChemE, FNucI, MI MechE.
Mr Skelton, a nuclear energy teaching fellow then senior lecturer in chemical engineering at the University of Cambridge 1990 -2007, served as governor to the school for 15 years from September 1998 - March 2014.
The headmaster Chris Staley and governors were joined by guests including local MP, Stephen Barclay, Wisbech Town Mayor, Councillor David Hodgson and Councillor Carol Cox, chairman of Fenland District Council.
Guests were served afternoon tea in the Skelton Hall after the ceremony with musical accompaniment provided by first form pupil Natasha Richardson, performing her own compositions, and Miles MacLachlan, a sixth form grade 7 pianist playing a variety of classical and jazz pieces.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Staley said: “It is an honour to be naming our newly built refectory after Robert Skelton who served as a Governor to the school for over 15 years.
“As well as providing leading knowledge and expertise in many areas throughout the years, Bob arranged for Wisbech Grammar School pupils to attend Magdalene College each year for taster days to introduce them to life and study at a Cambridge college, reinforcing our close links with the University.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
Mr Staley said Skelton Hall has quickly become the heart of the school and a focal point where parents, pupils and staff come together.”
He said the refectory is situated within the heart of the site with stunning views over the games fields; it is not only a place for dining, but also a multi-use space for the school.