Lorry driver dies after collision on the A14 - police forced to close road- four other collisions in the same area since lunchtime
- Credit: Archant
A lorry driver was killed just before 4pm after his vehicle collided with a car on the A14 at Alconbury.
The incident is one of five collisions on the A14 through Cambridgeshire this afternoon which has seen the road closed westbound.
A spokesman for Cambs Police said: “We are dealing with a number of collisions on the A14 and are advising motorists to avoid the road until further notice.”
Police confirmed one fatality on the A14 at Alconbury but officers are also dealing with collisions on the A14 at Girton, Godmanchester and others at Alconbury.
The A14 has been closed in both directions between Huntingdon and Alconbury until further notice.
You may also want to watch:
Police are urging motorists to follow @CambsCops on Twitter for updates on the closure.
These are the collision as they happened today:
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
•A14 at Girton at 1.05pm, three cars – serious injury, one taken to Addenbrooke’s, no further detail known.
•A14 at Godmanchester at 2.24pm between a car and a lorry – damage only.
•A14 at Alconbury at 3.32pm, car towing a caravan v lorry – damage only.
•A14 at Alconbury at 3.53pm between a car and a lorry – confirmed fatality of lorry driver.
•A14 at Alconbury at 4.22pm, single vehicle collision – details not known.