Lorry fire on the A1 causes early morning traffic mayhem
- Credit: Archant
A lorry fire broke out in the early hours today (Tuesday 10) on the A1 causing havoc for early morning commuters.
The fire started at about 6.30am in a trailer which was loaded with clothing on wooden pallets.
The rear axle and lorry wheels were on fire.
One crew from Stanground, one crew from Dogsthorpe, one crew from Stamford and a water carrier from Yaxley were called to the lorry fire on the A1 northbound between Wansford and Carpenters Lodge.
Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used three hose reels to extinguish the fire.
You may also want to watch:
Police were also requested to shut the road.
The fire was extinguished by 8.05am when crews returned to their stations.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'