Lucky escape for couple after car plunges into Sixteen Foot Drain near Bedlam Bridge
A YOUNG couple managed to escape from their car when it when left the road and plunged into the Sixteen Foot Drain near Bedlam Bridge, March.
Saturday’s accident came just two days after Roads Minister Michael Penning visited the scene with local road safety campaigners, councillors and MP Steve Barclay.
Graham Chappell, who launched the Fenland Road Safety Campaign after the death of nine-year-old Charlotte Walker in the Sixteen Foot, witnessed the recovery of the Peugot 206. Charlotte died when the car she was travelling in went into the water.
Mr Chappell, who put the case for targeted barriers to the Minister, said: “The occupants were apparently able to escape because their car entered the water on its side and they managed to get out through the door that wasn’t actually submerged. Shortly afterwards the car turned and sank. A very lucky escape indeed.
“This accident actually occurred on the approach to the Sixteen Foot Bank from the March road so not down the section of banking that we have identified for initial barrier installation, but it still reinforces the point that junctions on waterside roads are high risk locations and Bedlam Bridge itself is a very likely location for further life-threatening accidents.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Chappell and Charlotte’s father, Andy Walker, have presented a cheque for �5,000 to Cambridgeshire County Council which they hope will be put towards the cost of a barrier near Bedlam Bridge.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named