Lucky escape for Parson Drove woman after fire crews called to carbon monoxide leak
- Credit: Archant
Fire fighters are urging homeowners with open fires and fuel burners to ensure they have working carbon monoxide alarms after a woman’s life was saved by her alarm when she was overcome with fumes due to an incorrectly fitted multi-fuel burner.
Crews from March and Wisbech were called to a house in Harolds Bank, Parson Drove, at 11.36 this morning (March 10) and arrived to find a female resident outside the house, who was checked by paramedics after she said she felt unwell.
Fire fighters, using breathing apparatus, ventilated the home and returned to their stations by 1pm.
Watch Commander John Chelton has since urged residents to make sure their carbon monoxide alarms are in full working order after the incident.
He said: “Luckily this resident heard the alarm go off and eventually called the fire service and left the property. We later found out the alarm had gone off a number of other times since the homeowners fitted the multi-fuel burner at the end of the last year, indicating there was a problem with fumes escaping and potentially putting the lives of the two residents that live in the property at risk.
You may also want to watch:
“We would urge anyone who has a fuel-burning device, like a multi-fuel burner or an open fire, to fit a carbon monoxide alarm. If the alarm ever sounds and you can smell fumes or are concerned, do not hesitate, call 999 immediately and leave the property.”
WC Chelton added: “A carbon monoxide alarm has today saved the life of a resident and had it not been fitted, circumstances could have been very different.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
“It is also important to take this opportunity to remind residents to ensure all fuel burners are fitted correctly by a professional and to remember to fit a carbon monoxide alarm at the same time.”