Lucy Collins – who has ‘travelled all over the Mediterranean’ – celebrates her 100th birthday surrounded by friends and family
- Credit: Archant
A woman who has ‘travelled all over the Mediterranean’ with her late husband has celebrated her 100th birthday surrounded by family and friends.
Lucy Collins of Cedar Court Nursing Home has lived in Cambridgeshire her entire life. Born on August 19 1918 in Peterborough, Ms Collins went on to work with telegrams during the war.
After marrying her husband Stanley Collins the couple retired to their Cambridgeshire home and were married for 69 years before Stanley passed away in September last year.
She received her letter from Her Majesty the Queen and posed for a few snaps before continuing the celebrations at the Whittlesey care home.
One of Lucy’s relatives, James Lock, was Peterborough’s oldest man. He passed away just six days before his 102nd birthday and claimed that a glass of port a day kept him alive for so long.
Ms Collins has two daughters, four grandchildren and three great grandchildren. One of her daughters Josephine said: “She’s always done a lot of voluntary work.
“Mum used to play the piano and she loves flower arranging. She also loved her travelling. She’s travelled all over the Mediterranean.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 7 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
“I think it just runs in the family. She’s always kept active and loves joining in with the activities run at the care home.”
Have you got a special birthday coming up? Perhaps a big wedding anniversary? Get in touch, email: firstname.lastname@example.org