Lucy Collins – who has ‘travelled all over the Mediterranean’ – celebrates her 100th birthday surrounded by friends and family
- Credit: Archant
A woman who has ‘travelled all over the Mediterranean’ with her late husband has celebrated her 100th birthday surrounded by family and friends.
Lucy Collins of Cedar Court Nursing Home has lived in Cambridgeshire her entire life. Born on August 19 1918 in Peterborough, Ms Collins went on to work with telegrams during the war.
After marrying her husband Stanley Collins the couple retired to their Cambridgeshire home and were married for 69 years before Stanley passed away in September last year.
She received her letter from Her Majesty the Queen and posed for a few snaps before continuing the celebrations at the Whittlesey care home.
One of Lucy’s relatives, James Lock, was Peterborough’s oldest man. He passed away just six days before his 102nd birthday and claimed that a glass of port a day kept him alive for so long.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Collins has two daughters, four grandchildren and three great grandchildren. One of her daughters Josephine said: “She’s always done a lot of voluntary work.
“Mum used to play the piano and she loves flower arranging. She also loved her travelling. She’s travelled all over the Mediterranean.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 4 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 5 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 8 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 9 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 10 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
“I think it just runs in the family. She’s always kept active and loves joining in with the activities run at the care home.”
Have you got a special birthday coming up? Perhaps a big wedding anniversary? Get in touch, email: firstname.lastname@example.org