Macmillan Cancer Support March, Chatteris and District Fundraising Group is hoping to top last year’s amazing £30,851 total as their fundraising gets off to a grand start in 2017
- Credit: Archant
The efforts of the Macmillan Cancer Support March, Chatteris and District Fundraising Group has got off to a grand start already this year with two big cheque presentations.
The group are hoping to emulate last year’s ‘fantastic’ total of nearly £31,000 and they have issued a massive thank-you to everyone who supported them in 2016.
Josephine Fried, from the group, said: “Last year was the best year we have ever had in raising, which is fantastic given how difficult it has been financially for some people. We are hugely grateful to everyone who has supported us.”
One of the biggest sums raised last year came from teh group’s fun filled Go Green Week held in may, which raised a massive £10,000. The week included a sponsored walk, coffee mornings, raffles at various shops and As publicised at the time, all the funds raised during this particular week were to be split between the new Woodlands Cancer Centre at Hinchingbrooke Hospital and Macmillan services at the Robert Horrell Day Care Centre at Peterborough Hospital.
The balance of the money raised during 2016 will be used to support those affected by cancer in the Fenland area.
Chloe Coombs, Regional Fundraising Manager, said: “We are so proud of the March and Chatteris group for another hugely successful year of fundraising. Their commitment, hard work and dedication continue to amaze us, we are so grateful to everyone involved. The money raised allows us to provide services to people affected by cancer in the local community.”
The group have recently received two cheques both of £1,000 each from organisations in Chatteris, which has got the 2017 fundraising off to a flying start.
- 1 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 2 Head of sixth form at Sir Harry Smith ‘incredibly proud’ of students' A-level results
- 3 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 4 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 5 Students in Cambridgeshire receive ‘fantastic’ A-level results
- 6 Ramsey fire-fighters refill Horse Pond with water to save fish
- 7 Charity needs over 200 more volunteer vaccinators across Cambridgeshire
- 8 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 9 Cambridgeshire students set to receive their A-level exam results
- 10 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
The first cheque was presented by Chris Pope and David Lindley, landlord of The Ship in Chatteris. During 2016 Chris and the customers of The Ship held quiz nights, petanque, darts and pool tournaments to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
The other cheque came from Masons of Gray Lodge-Chatteris. The Masons raised this fantastic sum by holding various raffles and other fundraising events during 2016.
Josephine said: “A big ‘thank you’ to The Ship and its customers and to the Masons of Gray Lodge for their generosity. These funds will be helping those affected by cancer in the Fenland area and will also fund grants for local people who are struggling financially as a result of their cancer treatments.”
To find out more, call the Macmillan Support Line free on 0808 808000.”