World’s biggest coffee morning comes to Fenland
- Credit: Archant
Fenland brewed up a storm for Macmillan thanks to councillors, staff and residents who enjoyed charity coffee mornings.
More than £1,280 was raised for the cause, which is the chosen charity of Council Chairman, Cllr Kay Mayor, for her year in office.
Cllr Mayor said: “I have been delighted to see so many people support these events, and such a wonderful amount of money raised for the cause.
“Macmillan makes a huge difference to the lives of cancer patients and their families in Fenland, and local fund raising efforts go a long way to ensuring its support can continue.”
The first fund raiser was a big quiz night at the council’s New Vision Fitness George Campbell Centre in March.
You may also want to watch:
Teams of four went head-to-head in a battle of the brains, with £265 raised towards the total.
Then there was a World’s Biggest Coffee Morning event.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
Freshly-baked cakes and sausage rolls were on sale, and there a raffle with more than 80 prizes as well as dress down day for staff.
Local residents joined councillors and staff on the morning, along with North East Cambridgeshire MP Steve Barclay.
Whittlesey’s New Vision Fitness Manor Centre also held a coffee morning on October, contributing a further £287 towards the total.
• A quiz night in aid of Macmillan is at the New Vision Fitness Hudson Leisure Centre in Wisbech on Thursday, October 25, from 7pm to 9pm. Teams of four are ideal but not essential as can be made up on the night. Tickets cost £5 per person, including a sausage and chip supper (bring your own drink), must be bought in advance from the Hudson reception or call 01354 622399.