Maggie Powell, 11, pedals for five hours to raise more than £300 for Comic Relief
- Credit: Archant
CHATTERIS schoolgirl Maggie Powell pedalled an astounding 93 miles and burnt off 4,000 calories during an epic five hour cycle ride which raised more than £300 for Comic Relief.
The 11 year-old Cromwell Community College pupil’s heroic feat took place on a spin bike in the reception area of Chatteris Leisure Centre.
Hayley Powell, Maggie’s mother, said: “They were doing fund-raising at the school and she came home and asked me what she could do for Red Nose Day.
“I work for Chatteris Leisure so I came up with the idea that we could set up a spin bike in the reception area of the leisure centre and people could donate as they walked by.
“On the day she finished at school and headed straight to the centre. She got on the bike at 4pm and pedalled away until 9pm.”
You may also want to watch:
Various members of Maggie’s family, her school friends and staff at the sports centre did their bit to keep her going during the gruelling challenge.
Mrs Powell said: “We set up a bike next to Maggie and her granddad, myself and some of her friends took turns to keep her company. Even the receptionists got involved.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“Her school friends baked cakes and brought her biscuits to stop her from getting hungry.
“I am very proud of her. I know my bum was aching after three and a half hours so she did very well to keep going the whole time.”