Magpas chief executive to receive honour from former university
- Credit: Archant
The chief executive of medical charity Magpas will receive the Anglia Ruskin University Alumni Success in Business award.
Daryl Brown, who is also the Mayor of Huntingdon, will receive his award in front of graduates from Anglia Ruskin’s Lord Ashcroft International Business School at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge, on October 20.
The award is given to a former Anglia Ruskin student every year during graduation ceremonies to celebrate their success and to provide inspiration to the next generation of graduates.
In 2011, aged just 27, Daryl was appointed Chief Executive of Magpas and increased revenue five-fold in his first two years, partly thanks to his Magpas Lottery initiative which has 55,000 players.
The organisation now raises £4 million per year, enabling Magpas to train, equip and deploy an Air Ambulance and accompanying physician-paramedic teams to attend medical emergencies in the East of England and East Midlands when the NHS Ambulance Service requests on-scene medical support.
You may also want to watch:
He is a member of Huntingdon Council, serving as Deputy Mayor from May 2015 to May 2016, and is currently serving as Mayor of Huntingdon. Daryl is also a District Councillor for Huntingdonshire District Council, where he has an Executive Councillor Portfolio and Cabinet position.
Daryl is also a Governor with Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and has also been a Community First Responder, trained to provide emergency medical aid to patients with time-critical medical problems such as cardiac arrest or breathing difficulties.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
Professor Iain Martin, Vice Chancellor of Anglia Ruskin University, said: “Magpas was founded by Anglia Ruskin Honorary degree holder, Neville Silverston. And it seems fitting that the organisation should today be led by another Anglia Ruskin award holder.
“In addition to his demanding day job, Daryl also finds time to fulfil a variety of commitments within the wider community. As an Anglia Ruskin alumnus with a remarkable track-record of success, achieved so early in his career, Daryl will be an inspirational role model for our business students.”