Make those sort of accusations again and I’ll sue, former leader warns after “irresponsble and offensive” remarks
- Credit: Archant
Former Fenland Council leader Alan Melton tonight threatened to sue any councillor who hinted at improper links between his role as a councillor and his outside business interests.
In an angry outburst during today’s full council meeting he stood up to protest “on a point of order” comments clearly audible and coming from the back of the chamber.
“I heard the remark which I find totally irresponsible and offensive,” said Cllr Melton who had earlier finished questioning a Cabinet member on development issues.
The comment suggested he should have declared an interest when putting a point to housing portfolio chief Will Sutton about development boundaries.
“No I don’t have to declare an interest,” he said. “The simple reason is that I have never built outside a development area boundary or been involved in any company that has done so.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Melton said it was “the sort of accusation” he had been forced to endure for many years during his time as council leader.
“In future I will go to law if anything like this is said again,” he told councillors. “I won’t mess around with some silly little committee – I will go to law.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
Cllr Melton said: “I have made my point but be warned- next time I get an email or accusation verbally I will go to law.”