Man arrested after fire breaks out in two storey house in March, Cambs - woman ‘in critical condition’ after fleeing blaze
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested following a fire in March last night in which an elderly woman was taken to hospital after suffering burns.
The woman, in her 60s, is thought to have sustained bruising after falling down the stairs after detecting the fire in an upstairs bedroom.
A police spokesman said today: “She remains in a critical condition.”
Fire crews from March and Chatteris put out the blaze in a house at the end of Wigstone’s Road.
The woman is thought to have sustained bruising after falling down the stairs after detecting the fire in an upstairs bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
Fire investigators closed off the road and an access via Nene Parade and a footbridge.
It is thought the woman was taken by ambulance to Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
The police spokesman added: “A man from March has been arrested following the fire and is currently in custody at Thorpe Wood Police Station.”
A fire service spokesman said their crews arrived “to find a fire in the first floor bedroom of a two storey detached house.
“Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire using a hose reel and cleared the smoke using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
“One female casualty was given first aid at the scene before being taken to hospital.
“The crews returned to their stations by 1.25am.
“An investigation is taking place to determine the cause of the fire.”