Police swarm on library in March after suspect thought to be in possession of firearm
- Credit: Archant
A man suspected of being in possession of a firearm prompted a major police alert in March today.
Police cars swarmed to the town library following reports that a man was in possession of a firearm.
It turned out the man was carrying a replica firearm and he has been arrested and taken away for questioning.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: "We were called at around 1.25pm to reports of a man with a firearm in March.
"Officers attended and the weapon was found to be a replica. The man has been arrested for offences under the firearms act."
You may also want to watch:
Although it is not against the law to own a replica firearm, it is illegal to carry one in a public place unless the person has justification for doing so
An imitation firearm has been defined as anything that resembles a firearm.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
One eye witness said he saw up to five police cars respond to the situation at the library - which coincidentally is only yards from the town's police station.