Man arrested in Wisbech murder probe

A MAN was arrested this morning on suspicion of murdering a 49-year-old man in Wisbech.

Peter Kofie was discovered unconscious in Norwich Road at about 9pm Sunday. He had been assaulted, causing a rupture to the artery in his neck, and died in hospital a short time later.

Police swooped at an address in the town at 7am and arrested a 33-year-old man on suspicion of murder. He was taken to Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough for questioning.

Days before he was murdered, Mr Kofie wrote on his Facebook page that “if I’m alive it’s another day”.

His haunting words echoed through his family and friends this week as they came to terms with his murder.

On Sunday night, as he made his way from Norwich Road into Churchill Road, he was confronted and punched. He tried to flee but was again attacked.

He was found unconscious in the street and was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, where he later died.

Most Read

Just before the assault Mr Kofie had been with friends at a house in Norwich Road but had left saying he was going to listen to some live music being played by a band at the nearby Five Bells.

Five Bells landlady Shelly Cole said, however, that Mr Kofie did not come into her pub on Sunday and was not a regular customer.

Police say Mr Kofie walked towards Churchill Road wearing flip flops, a T-shirt and shorts, but was attacked as he turned into Churchill Road.

They believe there were a number of people near the pub at the time that may have seen what happened.

Det Chief Insp George Barr, who is leading the investigation, said: “The post mortem revealed Mr Kofie’s death was a direct result of the assault.”

He wanted to speak to anyone who saw the attacker and two men who were with him at the time of the incident.

Det Chief Insp Barr said: “We have managed to identify and talk to some people who were in the area at the time but there are others who have not come forward yet who could have very important information.

“It was warm and still light and we believe several people who were there may be able to help our investigation.

“I would also urge people to look at the descriptions given and call police if they think they recognise any of them.”

One of the men he was described as white, about 5ft 6in, 40 to 45, and had a large dark brown or black dog on a leash. The dog was long haired and possibly similar in appearance to a German shepherd or Husky.

The other was about 50, of large build and had grey or greying hair.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter