Man in custody after police pursuit
A MAN is in police custody this morning (Tuesday October 16) after a police pursuit which started in Whittlesey and ended with an accident at Doddington. Police were called at 5.35pm yesterday (Monday October 15) to Stafford Road, Whittlesey, to reports o
A MAN is in police custody this morning (Tuesday October 16) after a police pursuit which started in Whittlesey and ended with an accident at Doddington.
Police were called at 5.35pm yesterday (Monday October 15) to Stafford Road, Whittlesey, to reports of a person driving a car erratically - possibly under the influence of either drugs or alcohol.
A police spokesman said: "We went to the scene and the car drove off out of Whittlesey towards March on the A605, driving dangerously and at speed.
"Pursuing police lost the car, but the force helicopter was sent and picked the vehicle up in Doddington. The car was then involved in a crash and ended up in a ditch."
You may also want to watch:
Ambulance and fire crews were also called to the accident in Hospital Road, Doddington, at about 6.20pm.
One fire crew from Chatteris, and a rescue vehicle from Huntingdon, were called to the accident.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
A fire service spokesman said: "Fire fighters used specialist cutting equipment to release the person from the vehicle, suffering from suspected neck and back injuries."
The man was taken to Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Huntingdon for a check-up and was arrested on suspicion of aggravated vehicle taking without consent. He is still in custody at Wisbech Police Station.