Man jailed for life after butchering his partner and leaving her legless, armless and headless torso in a suitcase
- Credit: Archant
A Peterborough man has been jailed for a minimum of 20 years for butchering his female partner so brutally that when police found the body in a suitcase it was armless, legless and headless.
Officers were called to Vytautas Jokubauskas’ property after tenants noticed an unpleasant smell coming from a locked room rented by the killer.
The court heard that the 57-year-old dismembered Ramute Butkiene’s body before watching war films and drinking whisky with her torso stuffed into a suitcase next to him. He then buried her arms and legs in nearby wooded areas and disposed of her head.
Jokubauskas, of Mayor’s Walk, was today convicted of murdering Miss Butkiene, 42, following a week-long trial at Southwark Crown Court.
The court heard how Jokubauskas strangled Ramute with the cord from her dressing gown at some point between May 28 and May 29 after accusing her of seeing another man.
You may also want to watch:
Ramute’s torso was discovered at a property in Mayor’s Walk on the afternoon of Friday June 5.
Following a police appeal, Jokubauskas was located in Clipston Walk on June 7, just a few streets away from where he had left Ramute’s torso.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
During the seven-day trial, the court also heard how Jokubauskas told officers in interview “I am a killer” and he had strangled his girlfriend “just a little” to scare her.
Detective Inspector Pushpa Guild, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “This was a gruesome crime against an innocent woman, all because of a moment of jealousy.
“In a moment of rage Jokubauskas killed Ramute and then butchered her in an attempt to cover his tracks.
“Our thoughts go out to Ramute’s family who have been through a truly horrific time these past few months; the indignity they have all been subjected to is something no one should ever have to experience.
“While nothing will ever make up for what has happened, I hope this verdict and knowing Jokubauskas will spend many years behind bars brings some peace to Ramute’s loved ones.”
Jokubauskas pleaded guilty to manslaughter and preventing a lawful and decent burial of a corpse at a hearing at the Old Bailey on September 4.
Jokubauskas must serve a life sentence with a minimum term of 20 years.