Man, 40, who stole designer handbags, two pairs of sunglasses, nine bottles of alcohol, aftershave, a bike and a toothbrush is jailed
- Credit: GOOGLE / PEXELS / FILE
A man who stole a number of items from shops in Cambridgeshire, including handbags, alcohol and an electric toothbrush, has been jailed.
A court has heard how the 40-year-old man stole 18 designer handbags from TK Maxx in Cambridge in four separate occasions before threatening to bite a security guard.
William Excell, who lives in the city, went on a stealing spree from November 2018 until May this year; he stole thousands of pounds worth of goods.
Among Excell's stock were two pairs of designer sunglasses, seven bottles of fragrance, nine bottles of alcohol, a bike and an electric toothbrush.
On Sunday, April 21 Excell took a mountain bike which had been left unlocked outside of the Co-op supermarket on Chesterton Road in Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
The last time he was challenged by security staff, he threatened them with a pair of pliers and that was when he also threatened to bite them.
He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison for each of the offences, to be served concurrently at Cambridge Magistrates' Court on Friday, June 7.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 3 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 4 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 5 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
- 8 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 9 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 10 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
A previous 16-week suspended sentence was added, meaning he was jailed for a total of 32 weeks.
PC Grahame McLennan said: "Excell is a prolific shoplifter who stole thousands of pounds worth of items by blatantly walking into shops, picking up high value items and strolling out without paying.
"We will not tolerate threatening behaviour, such as he showed towards the security in one of these incidents.
"He demonstrated a complete lack of respect for the staff at these retail outlets."