Man rescued from river in March after he jumped in near town bridge
- Credit: Archant
Police, ambulance and three fire engines were called to the scene on Town Bridge just after 4.30pm.
It is believed the man, described as in his 20s, was wearing a wetsuit and had jumped in the River Nene 'near to the library and town bridge'.
He didn't appear to be in distress and one passerby said he 'had his thumbs up'.
Fire crews confirmed around 5.30pm that the man had been 'brought to safety out of the river'.
He was seen floating down the river towards the bridge, prompting a passerby to alert emergency services.
You may also want to watch:
One woman, who did not wish to be named, said: "He was just seen floating in the water towards Elywn Road and it was quite frightening as he was spotted under the bridge.
"Someone said they managed to get him out but then he jumped back in again.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
"It's frightening to think that a young person has had to do something like this."
Traffic in Broad Street was at a standstill while people gathered on the bridge to watch.