Man’s body found in Fenland river NOT that of missing man
POLICE have been forced to apologise after it emerged a body found in a Fenland river is not that of a man who went missing seven weeks ago.
A man’s body was found by a member of the public in the river near to the Foxhound pub in Ramsey Road, Whittlesey, on 2.30pm Saturday. Spartan Rescue were called and recovered the body.
This morning, police said in a statement that the man had been identified as 83-year-old Reginald Howse, a grandfather from Ramsey, who went missing from his home on May 9.
However, new information this morning has revealed that the body is not that of Mr Howes - it is believed to be a 73-year-old man from Whittlesey who hadn’t been seen since the previous day.
A police spokesman said: “Following new information and further enquiries we have this morning (Monday June 28) discovered that the man’s body found in Whittlesey on Saturday (June 26) was not that of Reginald Howse.
You may also want to watch:
“Reginald, who has been missing since May, was last seen in Whittlesey.
“The body of an elderly man was discovered in Whittlesey on Saturday afternoon and matched the description on missing Reginald. At this time no other people, matching this description, had been reported missing.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 5 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 6 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 7 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 8 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Residents make most of lockdown easing as Christmas comes early
“Reginald’s family were made aware of the discovery. However, at 11.20pm last night a 73-year-old man was reported missing from the Whittlesey area, who hadn�t been seen since the previous day.
“Police now believe the identify of the body to be that of the 73-year-old man and not missing Reginald.
“As soon as this information came to light officers visited Mr Howse family to explain situation and apologise for any distress that has been caused to them.
“Mr Howse remains missing and we continue to appeal for any information about his whereabouts.”