Man suffers 50 per cent burns after gas explosion at Cambridgeshire house - paramedics say his condition is “serious”
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 60s suffered 50 per cent burns to his body after a gas explosion in his home in South Cambridgeshire.
Paramedics and a doctor arrived in Gamlingay on the Cambs/Beds border shortly after 6am to treat the seriously injured man.
Magpas said their team provided the main with pain relief before accompanying him to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
“On arrival at the hospital the patient was in a serious condition,” said a spokesman.
Fire and rescue Services, the police, and EEAST ambulance service paramedic crews were also on the scene.
You may also want to watch:
A fire service spokesman said: “We attended this serious gas explosion early this morning.
“A neighbour called 999 stating they heard an explosion at a nearby property.”
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
The spokesman said: “It is believed what caused this explosion was a failure in the gas supply, which went directly to the kitchen hob.
“We believe the gentleman heard hissing this morning and unfortunately then switched on the light to the kitchen. An explosion took place that has caused some catastrophic damage to the house.
“The man sadly has suffered 50 per cent burns to his body and has been taken to hospital.”
The spokesman added: “If you suspect gas or a leakage in your property, vent the premises, evacuate and isolate if possible, and call the emergency services or emergency line for your gas supplier and report it immediately.”