Man suffers 50 per cent burns after gas explosion at Cambridgeshire house - paramedics say his condition is “serious”
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 60s suffered 50 per cent burns to his body after a gas explosion in his home in South Cambridgeshire.
Paramedics and a doctor arrived in Gamlingay on the Cambs/Beds border shortly after 6am to treat the seriously injured man.
Magpas said their team provided the main with pain relief before accompanying him to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
“On arrival at the hospital the patient was in a serious condition,” said a spokesman.
Fire and rescue Services, the police, and EEAST ambulance service paramedic crews were also on the scene.
You may also want to watch:
A fire service spokesman said: “We attended this serious gas explosion early this morning.
“A neighbour called 999 stating they heard an explosion at a nearby property.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
The spokesman said: “It is believed what caused this explosion was a failure in the gas supply, which went directly to the kitchen hob.
“We believe the gentleman heard hissing this morning and unfortunately then switched on the light to the kitchen. An explosion took place that has caused some catastrophic damage to the house.
“The man sadly has suffered 50 per cent burns to his body and has been taken to hospital.”
The spokesman added: “If you suspect gas or a leakage in your property, vent the premises, evacuate and isolate if possible, and call the emergency services or emergency line for your gas supplier and report it immediately.”