Man treated for smoke inhalation after Leverington kitchen fire
- Credit: Archant
Two crews from Wisbech tackled a kitchen fire caused by an unattended chip pan in Leverington yesterday,
Firefighters were called to a home in Little Dowgate at 4.35pm.
All occupants were out of the home when the fire service arrived.
Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the home and the fire was extinguished by 4.55pm.
Severe damage has been caused in the kitchen to the cooker and neighbouring cupboards, along with heavy smoke damage, but the rest of the property has suffered minimal damage.
An ambulance was called to assess a male suffering smoke inhalation.
Watch commander John Chelton said: “This fire started when a chip pan was left unattended as the resident became distracted with another task. The fire quickly spread but the residents did the correct thing to get out, stay out and dial 999.
- 1 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 2 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 9 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 10 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
“Chip pans containing large amounts of very hot oil can be very dangerous and we would urge residents to use alternative methods of cooking if possible. Whenever cooking, please make sure you do not get distracted and most importantly, ensure you have correctly fitted working smoke alarms in your property.”