£100 prize for the woman who beat all comers to win the Great Fenland Sweet Corn Eating championships
- Credit: Archant
It may not have been up there with some of the greatest challenges of all times, but families who turned up to Skylark at Manea on Bank Holiday still found it an irresistible opportunity to give it a go.
This was the annual sweet corn eating competition put on by the ever inventive bosses at Skylark who seem to have learnt a thing or two about what their customers like
Eating sweet corn is high up on the list.
So with local DJ Johnny Dee on hand to guide them through proceedings, the race to establish some of the fastest sweet corn eaters in the east got under way.
There is, as you would expect, a world sweet corn eating championship (in America, naturally) and the record, dating back 14 years, is eating 33 and a half ears of corns in 12 minutes. It was verified by the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
You may also want to watch:
But for Manea the winner and taking home the £100 prize, after being timed and assessed by adjudicators, was a woman – who won the competition in 2017.
Events manager Bart Woodbine said: “It was a great success and made yesterday a busy day. We had two adults and two children’s heats with 10 each heat and 6 in the final.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
“The winners were Dylan Potter, 14 who consumed four whole cobs in three minutes and Ewa Urbanska from Hartford who ate seven cobs in the three minutes.”
Dylan won a super soaker water pistol and Ewa took home £100 cash. They both received a trophy.