£100 prize for the woman who beat all comers to win the Great Fenland Sweet Corn Eating championships
- Credit: Archant
It may not have been up there with some of the greatest challenges of all times, but families who turned up to Skylark at Manea on Bank Holiday still found it an irresistible opportunity to give it a go.
This was the annual sweet corn eating competition put on by the ever inventive bosses at Skylark who seem to have learnt a thing or two about what their customers like
Eating sweet corn is high up on the list.
So with local DJ Johnny Dee on hand to guide them through proceedings, the race to establish some of the fastest sweet corn eaters in the east got under way.
There is, as you would expect, a world sweet corn eating championship (in America, naturally) and the record, dating back 14 years, is eating 33 and a half ears of corns in 12 minutes. It was verified by the International Federation of Competitive Eating.
But for Manea the winner and taking home the £100 prize, after being timed and assessed by adjudicators, was a woman – who won the competition in 2017.
Events manager Bart Woodbine said: “It was a great success and made yesterday a busy day. We had two adults and two children’s heats with 10 each heat and 6 in the final.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 3 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 4 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 5 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 9 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 10 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
“The winners were Dylan Potter, 14 who consumed four whole cobs in three minutes and Ewa Urbanska from Hartford who ate seven cobs in the three minutes.”
Dylan won a super soaker water pistol and Ewa took home £100 cash. They both received a trophy.