Manea’s regular train service is a big hit, according to the service operator
- Credit: Archant
A regular Manea train service has more than doubled the number of passengers using it in the first year, according to the train operator.
Abellio Greater Anglia has announced that the regular two-hourly Ipswich to Peterborough line service has proved a big hit with villagers.
The two-hourly weekday and Saturday service began on December 28 and figures show that since its introduction, passenger numbers have steadily increased from almost 300 passenger journeys per month to more than 700 now.
Before the new service started, only two trains a day called at the station.
Now, there is a regular two-hourly service, which connects local people directly with Peterborough, Ely and Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Abellio Greater Anglia Partnerships Manager, Geraint Hughes, said: “I am delighted that the improved train service at Manea is proving a real benefit to local people.
“For a long time we wanted to respond to the villagers’ request for a more frequent service and the completion of improvement works at Peterborough station by Network Rail last year, allowed for the re-timing of services to include the additional stops at Manea.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
“A year on, the increase in passenger numbers demonstrates that the service has created a real public transport alternative, which is proving very popular with the local community.”
The two hourly service at Manea was made possible by opening up additional platform space at Peterborough station in December 2013.