March ABC gets new equipment after £1,000 grant boost
- Credit: Archant
A boxing club has been able to get new gloves, training pads and other equipment after securing a £1,000 grant.
March Amateur Boxing Club, which has about 50 members aged from eight upwards, received the grant from boxing charity Central Society and Recreational Trust.
The club made the application following a recent visit to the club by Mark Abberley, the chief executive of Boxing England.
Club member Councillor Will Sutton said: “We’ve got some old equipment we’ve been wanting to replace for some time, so we’ve been able to get hold of some boxing gloves, trainer’s pads and general equipment.
“We’re a small amateur club and everybody gives their time free of charge. It can be a struggle so funding from anywhere is beneficial for our juniors.”
You may also want to watch:
MP Steve Barclay, who has pushed for better funding for Fenland’s sports clubs, said: “I am absolutely delighted with the announcement that March Boxing Club has received £1,000 worth of funding for new equipment.
“It is great to see local clubs receiving national funding and March Boxing Club has followed Wisbech Boxing Club’s success in obtaining a grant from the same organisation two years ago.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
“The funding shows there is money available if local groups and organisations are able to submit applications and I’m grateful to Mark Abberley and his colleagues for taking the time out to visit March Boxing Club and for his support in helping them obtain this money.
“I am aware that sports funding in Fenland has been lacking in the past and it is something I am determined to address.”
March ABC holds boxing classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 6-7pm for 8-11 year olds and 7-8pm for 12 year olds and above. They also hold fitness classes on Thursdays and Sundays.
If you would like to find out more, contact Bernie Wing on 01354 654648 or Will Sutton on 01354 638025