March Amateur Boxing Club duo remain best friends despite trading blows at Mid-Anglia Schoolboy Finals
TWO boxers from March Amateur Boxing Club have remained the best of friends even though they traded blows during Friday’s Mid-Anglia Schoolboy Finals in King’s Lynn.
Cole Stevens and Harry Rody, both aged 12, agreed to temporarily put their friendship to one side after being drawn to fight each other at Ferry Street Amateur Boxing Club.
Stevens won the bout on points and March ABC coach Bernie Wing admitted he was proud of the pairs’ professionalism.
Wing said: “We didn’t like the fact they had to fight against each other but we put it to them and they agreed that fighting wouldn’t be a problem.
“It’s a testament to the type of competitors they are that after the fight there were no issues at all. There really was nothing between them in the first couple of rounds but Cole came on strong in the third and won what was a very good contest.
You may also want to watch:
“Cole and Harry were the best of friends before the fight and they still are - it’s what boxing is all about.”
Conor Crosby also enjoyed a points victory on the night after he beat Wisbech Amateur Boxing Club’s Lol Manning.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 3 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 9 Cash machine grabbed in East Cambs ram raid
- 10 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
Manning’s strength threatened to overpower Crosby but the March youngster stuck to his boxing and edged a tight victory.
Wing said: “Conor connected with more clean punches to win on points but this was definitely the bout of the night. It really was a cracking fight.”